Cheap, Homemade, Fatfree Whole Grain Cold Cereal

Hi to all,

After being frustrated by the high cost of decent cereals--even the best
of which are rarely fatfree, I decided to make my own.

The following recipe is very easy, delicious, and lowers the cost of
cereal considerably.

1 C. Apple Juice
1 T. Honey (NOT VEGAN)
1/8 C. Maple Syrup
1/2 T Vanilla
Cinnamon

1 42 oz. canister of Quaker whole rolled oats

1/4 large canister of raisins
1/2 package of dried Ocean Spray Cranberries (better than most dried)
1/2 small package of dried raspberries (I used Melissa's)

----
Preheat oven to 375.

Microwave juice until hot. Stir in honey, syrup, vanilla, and a couple
shakes of cinnamon.

Lightly spray a LARGE baking pan with cooking spray. I use the pan I
used to use for big turkeys. Dump oats in pan. Slowly pour juice over
oats trying to distribute fairly evenly. Stir the oats well.

Bake until the oats are completely dry and golden enough, being sure to
*stir well every 15 minutes*.

Let cool. Add the fruit, carefully separating raspberries into
individual pieces. Stir to mix. Dump cereal back into the canister it
came in (there will be a little extra.) This lasts two of us and least
two weeks.

This is delicious with skim milk, or with fruit juice (I like half
apple/half OJ). This week I couldn't afford the more expensive fruits,
but it came out fine using only raisins.

RF