Asparagus & Green Beans recipes

I don't have a recipe for asparagus soup, but I do have two quick and easy
salad recipes - one for asparagus and one for green beans.  Hope y'all
enjoy them.

Chau

Italian Asparagus

1 lb asparagus
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 T chopped green onions
1/8 t dried whole oregano
1/8 t dried whole thyme
1/8 t pepper
2 t freshly grated Parmesan (optional)

Snap off tough ends of asparagus.  Cover and cook or steam in a small
amount of boiling water for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Asparagus
can also be microwaved (directions below).  Drain, arrange on a serving
platter, and keep warm.  Combine tomatoes and next 4 ingredients in a
bowl; stir well.  Spoon mixture over asparagus; sprinkle with cheese.

To microwave asparagus, arrange spears in a 2 inch baking dish with stem
ends towards outside of dish; add 1/4 cup of water.  Cover with heavy-duty
plastic wrap and vent.  Microwave at high for 6-7 minutes or until
crisp-tender.  Let stand, covered, for 1 minute; drain.

Green Bean & Tomato Salad with Basil

5 oz green beans
3 ripe tomatoes
1 garlic clove, minced
3 T chopped basil leaves or 1 t dried
3 T vegetable juice (I used water left from steaming green beans)
3/8 t salt
1/8 t pepper

Trim ends from green beans and cut into 1-1.5 in lengths.  Cook in a
saucepan of boiling salted water or steam until just tender, 3-5 minutes.
Add tomatoes to pan during last 10-20 sec of cooking to loosen skins.

Peel, seed, and dice tomatoes.  In a bowl, combine green beans and
tomatoes with garlic, basil, and vegetable juice.  Season with salt and
pepper.

Toss gently.  Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.