Re:Easter Dinner

>Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:08:16 -0800
>From: Terry and Kathleen Schuller <schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Easter Dinner
>
>What are you making for Easter dinner?  For the first time I want to make
>an Easter dinner without meat so that the whole family eats the same thing,
>but I need some good ideas for the main dish.  Please help.
 We made this dinner for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I suppose it could
be used for Easter.  We haven't decided what we'll have for Easter yet?

This receipe was from Jan Gordon.

THANKSGIVING DRESSING
1 pound whole wheat bread, cubed
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
1 head celery, sliced
5  cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried sage
2 teaspoons dried thyme
black pepper
1/2 cup white wine
veggie broth or broth made from chicken flavor veggie broth mix
1 equivilent of non fat egg stuff, or if you are vegan - EnerG Egg
Replacer, equivilent to 1 egg
salt if you need it -
sautee all the veggies in white wine, I do it in batches, too much for my
biggest pan.  Add herbs to the sauteeing veggies.  Cook til veggies are
tender but not limp and mushies have let go of their juice.Mix veggies with
bread cubes.  Add egg and enough broth to make it all quite moist but not
soupy, you know, just right.
Bake covered about 30 minutes, uncover and bake 15 minutes more.
Serve with mushroom gravy.

This is good on anything.  Can be vegan or dairy.

MUSHROOM GRAVY

Slice one pound mushrooms
slice one small onion
mince 2 cloves garlic

sautee all in about 1/3 cup white wine.
When veggies are soft, add about 2 - 3 tablespoons of flour, stir and
cook for a minute or two.
add about 2 cups of one of the following:  veggie broth, chicken flavor
veggie broth, or nonfat milk, use dairy or lowfat soy , they both work.
Stir and heat til thickened.
If you want a creamier, near strogonav sauce, add about 1/3 cup yogurt
but add some of the sauce to the yogurt, then add back to sauce.  Heat
this all together but do not boil.
If you want it darker, richer, add a bit of soy sauce or Bragg's Aminos.

Jan Gordon <jrg14@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I hope you like it, we did!
Don

Donald E. Stowe (Don) <destowe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>