Borscht <T>

Hi All,
   We've begun subscribing to an organic veggie box service run by a
local farm.  This week we got (among other things) green garlic, yellow
Finn potatoes, beets, cilantro and onions.  They gave us the following
recipe in the newsletter, which I modified only slightly.
It was great.  You could serve it with a dollop of ff sour cream, but we
left this off and the fresh cilantro on top was the best addition.
   It's also great to have a better idea about what's really in season
in the area.
         Heather Levien

A Different Kind of Borscht
(adapted from the Terra Firma Farm CSA Newsletter)

1 bunch beets
2 stems green garlic
8 cups water
1 pound of potatoes
1 large onion
fresh cilantro

Steam a bunch of beets for 20 minutes or until the skins just
peel off.  Meanwhile, chop green garlic and water saute until
carmelized.  Add water and bring to a boil.  Slice the beets and
potatoes thinly and add to the broth.  Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes
until the potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, slice the onion into thick half-rounds.  Broil in the oven
in a pan with a little water and salt and pepper.  Stir frequently.

Garnish the soup with a forkful of onions and a sprinkling of chopped
cilantro.