Granola recipe

Someone asked for a granola recipe.  This doesn't make big clumps, but it's
rather granola-y and it's a favorite around my house and extended family.

Adapted from Ornish and others.

Maple Syrup Granola

     1/3  cup           maple syrup
     1/4  cup           honey
   1      teaspoon      vanilla
   1      teaspoon      almond extract
   2      teaspoons     orange peel
   2      cups          rolled oats
   2      cups          puffed rice cereal
   2      cups          puffed wheat cereal
     1/3  cup           wheat germ
   2      cups          puffed corn
   1      teaspoon      cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Boil liquids in large pot until the mixture foams and rises, only a few minutes.

Quickly stir in cereals and additional spices.

Spread mixture on 9x13 baking sheet.  Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden and
crunchy.

WATCH CLOSELY . . . THIS WILL BURN EASILY AND QUICKLY!

Remove from oven and press lightly with spatula.  Let cool, then break apart
and store in airtight containers in cabinet or freezer.

Sometimes, we add a smidge of chopped walnuts and dried cherries or
blueberries for a treat.