Granola recipe

Someone asked for a granola recipe.  This doesn't make big clumps, but it's
rather granola-y and it's a favorite around my house and extended family.

Adapted from Ornish and others.

Maple Syrup Granola

     1/3  cup           maple syrup
     1/4  cup           honey
   1      teaspoon      vanilla
   1      teaspoon      almond extract
   2      teaspoons     orange peel
   2      cups          rolled oats
   2      cups          puffed rice cereal
   2      cups          puffed wheat cereal
     1/3  cup           wheat germ
   2      cups          puffed corn
   1      teaspoon      cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Boil liquids in large pot until the mixture foams and rises, only a few minutes.

Quickly stir in cereals and additional spices.

Spread mixture on 9x13 baking sheet.  Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden and

Remove from oven and press lightly with spatula.  Let cool, then break apart
and store in airtight containers in cabinet or freezer.

Sometimes, we add a smidge of chopped walnuts and dried cherries or
blueberries for a treat.