Re:Beets

>I've never had beets, bar the pickled 'Bicks' variety in the jar (which I
>adore, but have stopped buying because they're loaded with sugar).

Beets have a strong enough flavor of their own to be able to handle
stevia quite nicely.  In fact, they seem to enhance each other.
(Kind of like fennel with beets; in fact, stevia has an aftertaste
somewhat similar to fennel.)

I quarter the beets and steam, then peel and maybe cut into smaller
(bite-size) pieces, if I'm feeling ambitious, and sprinkle with
either the powdered stevia (man, this stuff is S-W-E-E-T), or add
a couple drops of the liquid.  Sometimes (again, if I'm feeling
ambitions), I'll put the peeled and cut pieces back into the pan
and add a bit of cornstarch and water with the stevia to make a
kind of glaze.

Mmmmm.

>       Is it true that you can't peel them before cooking, as they 'bleed
>to death'?

I don't know about bleeding, but when raw these things are a booger
to slice, let alone try to peel.

Doris