The Mustard Controversy

I really enjoyed the "Mustard String." As usual, Neal put it
to rest with his reminding us that in the USA, .5 gms of fat
or less is rounded off to NO fat. This is important to those
of us who define our VLF diets as less than 10% of our
calories from fat.

Now, in JAMA, there is an article that decries the typical
American low-fat (or non fat diet) as being a problem because
it also reduces one's "good" cholesterol. I don't want to
get into a health discussion on this Board, because Michelle
says this is not the place for it, but that recent article
has not changed my opinion much.

True, all seeds have fat in them, because in order to take
root, seeds need an immediate source of energy to sprout.
Nature designed them to carry their own supply. We absorb
most of that when we eat seeds. Naturally, mustard seeds
also have a small amount of fat as well. I think that I
will try to reduce my mustard intake and substitute
balsamic vinegar to make up for it. Good idea?

Our energy (and fat needs) are also related to the amount
of exercise we take. Dr. Ornish says that we can adjust our
fat intake to energy output, and still be under his 10%
rule.

But that is more health stuff and I promised Michelle
I'd avoid that. When we look at a "well balanced diet"
we see that most foods, even those without added fat,
do have a slight fat component to them...and there
lies the controversy. They DO add up. But they are
designed by nature to add up. The SAD diet is so
replete with added fat that it is almost obscene
by comparison to most of our dietary choices on this
readers' group--not to mention cholesterol.

I simply cannot understand why SAD eaters choose to
poison themselves, and perhaps that leads me into
trouble with my friends and others who insist on it.
I think it is like alcohol and cigarets to some extent.
We are trained by the food industry as children and
most of the SAD eaters can't break away from that
"conditioning." How SAD.

Mike Rosenblatt