Amish Friendship Bread

A while back I recall seeing someone post about his bread to the list, either the
recipe or how to modify the recipe that is passed around with the starter.  A
friend "kindly "  dropped this bag of goo on my desk the other day along with
the recipe for Amish Friendship Bread (kind of a chain letter thing).  I am
guessing the bag of goo is the starter.  I am ok with the steps for feeding it, but
when I came to the recipe to actually make the bread, it requires 1 cup of oil.
Has anyone had success with making this bread with substitutes?  I would
appreciate any help you have to offer as I feel that I should make the bread,
since she gave me the starter, but I refuse to make it with that amount of oil.

TIA
Sandra (skidd@xxxxxxxxxxx)