Re: FATFREE Digest V97 #180

>*Vegan 'Tuna' Salad (low fat)*

...sigh...I adore chunk light tuna packed in water.  Simply adore it.
Tomato soup and tuna fish sandwich on a rainy day...perfect meal...I still
keep a can of tomato soup for those rare occasions when it rains here in
the land of perfect weather.  The only time I managed to avoid eating tuna
was after I learned about the poor dolphins.  But once Star Kist made the
switch to nets that avoid the dolphins, I was back eating tuna.  I have
come to the conclusion that I will never be a pure vegetarian because I
really really love tuna and can't bear the thought of facing life without
it.  I may not eat it for 3 or 4 months, but I have to know it's available!!

I wrote this:

>I have a dear dear friend struggling to get her husband to et more
>healthfully.  When I tell you what his favorite meal is, you will see why.
>It makes me ill even to type the words:  32 oz Porterhouse steak, Macaroni
>and Cheese, broccoli with cheddar cheese sauce, baked potato with butter,
>sour cream and bacon bits.

Most of your responses were along this line:

>I think your friend needs to discuss her husband's eating habits and get him
>to agree to have perhaps one meatless meal a week for starters...IMHO,
>nothing tastes like meat, no matter what Dixie advertises or any other veggie
>source...

First of all, I want to thank you all for taking the time to write to me
about this situation.  My frind loves her DH very much, I have met him and
he is a wonderful guy.  But he has dug his heels in over the food thing.  I
have noticed that people do get very emotionally attached to their food
choices (look at me and tuna!!).  She doesn't want to loose him to a stroke
or a heart attack.

Most of your suggestions have already been explored by her with him.  He
refuses to eat a non-meat meal once a week.   if she serves one, he either
goes out to the greasy spoon or orders a piza loaded with..well....best not
to go into detail.  He is completely convinced that his health will suffer
if he doesn't eat several ounces of protein a day.

She asks if any of you have any **radical** suggestions to make.
Otherwise, she feels she has to reconcile herself to the heart attack or
stroke and just pray that he survives it.  And she is a fighter and doesn't
like to give up without trying.

I had a good chuckle out of this, Mike!!  Thanks!!  Where in NJ are you?  I
grew up in Princeton!!

 Look at
>my new finds:
>Vegetarian intestines (I couldn't beleive this one-who eats regular
>intestines?) *did not buy*
>Vegetarian kidneys (no, not kidney beans either) *did not buy*

Unfortunately, many cuisines of the world do bosat meals made of intestines
and kidneys and worse, such as brains.  I guess this dates back to the days
when every single part of the animal was used for survival.  Haggis and
meneudo come to mind about the intestines and I have seen receipes for
kidneys on toast.

>What I *did* buy:
>Veggie dumplings (good to steam and dip)
>Egg free Sweet and sour ribs
>Vege Mini Dogs
>Vegetarian Steak
>Vegie Gluten Pattie- instant
>Instant Soybean Drink (1.5 g. fat each)

So, what I wanna know is, how did this stuff taste??

And speaking of the world's cuisines...one that I really love is vegetarian
fare from India.  Love it Love it.  But I don't think we can consider it
low fat.  Hardly.  Has anyone had any suggestion about converting Indian
receipes to lowfat without losing the flavor?

Gloriamarie     gma@xxxxxxxx
In La Mesa, CA, 1 town east of San Diego where, hallelujah, we once againn
have ...sigh...perfect weather and a lovely breeze and not so darned hot!!