Need help with lemon pasta sauce that curdles

Hi everyone,

	I'm having a problem with a pasta sauce that I tried
making for the first time on Friday night. Basically I
modified a recipe that called for whipping cream and used
canned evaporated skim milk. The milk gets cooked and then
I added lemon juice and grated lemon rind and then everything
curdled. I kind of knew that this would happen because I
had the same experience with Lynn Warble's chipotle penne
alfredo (check the archives from 1995).

	I was wondering if there was something I could add
that would inhibit the curdling process because the sauce
turned out to be very tasty but the texture was too weird.

Here's the recipe. (I admit that I did not use FF pecorino
cheese but the problem happened even before I added the cheese!!)

The recipe was based on one from the cable tv food channel.
Here's my modified version.

MOLTO MARIO
 SHOW #MB5653

FETTUCCINE WITH LEMON, HOT PEPPERS AND PECORINO ROMANO

1 recipe fresh pasta
 1 medium red onion, thinly-sliced
 2 red jalapenos, seeded and thinly-sliced
 12 oz canned evap skimmed milk
 Juice and zest of three lemons
 1/2 cup freshly grated pecorino romano
 Salt and pepper to taste

 Heat 6 quarts of water to boil and add 2 tablespoons of salt.

 In a 12" to 14" skillet, Saute red onions in favorite saute liquid
 until translucent and softened (8 to 10 minutes). Add jalapenos and
 milk and bring to a boil. Add lemon juice and zest and boil 1 minute.
 Remove from heat and set aside. Season with salt and pepper. Drop pasta into
 boiling water and cook until tender yet still "al dente". Drain pasta in
 colander over sink and toss hot pasta into pan with cream mixture. Return to
 heat and stirring gently, mix well. Add pecorino and toss quickly. Pour into
 heated serving platter and serve immediately.

 Yield: 4 as pasta course

        Copyright, 1996, TV FOOD NETWORK, G.P., All Rights Reserved