Squash and a social life

Michael M. Rosenblatt wrote:

>For the reader who would like to go on to the McDougal diet, I
>reiterate, it's VERY socially restricting. You might as well give
>up your friends, because they will never come over to eat, or
>go out to any restaurant, if you ould even find one to eat at.

I think it is unfortunate that you have had this experience, but it need
not necessarily be this way. I have been following the plan and I still
have friends over to eat frequently.  Most of them find it very
refreshing.  Some of them have even called me the next day to learn more
about it becuase they felt so much better after eating that way even just
once.  I generally serve a very simple meal of steamed veggies (usually a
fairly wide variety), baked or steamed potatoes, and then a simple grain or
bean dish seasoned with onions, garlic, and/or herbs and spices.  I do
offer butter, sour cream (if I have any around) and Parmesean cheese at the
table for them to use if they wish.  My children and husband also like to
have the Parmesan for their steamed zucchini and sour cream for baked
potatoes and refried beans. These condiments are not tempting to me and it
allows me to eat the way I want to without resistance from my family.  I
would rather offer these kinds of things so that everyone can enjoy the
meal, instead of preparing seperate meals for me and them.  I am the only
one in the family who is overweight and we all eat vegetarian at home
(my husband and sughter eat meat outside the home, while my son and I are
strict vegetarians), so for me, the benefits to my family of eating loads
and loads of steamed veggies far outweighs the potential health risks of
sprinkling a little Parmesan cheese on top (the only person who uses butter on
anything is my husband).

That said, someone else was asking about stuffed squash recipes.  Here
are a couple that I like.

GRILLED ZUCCHINI STUFFED WITH CORN
3 medium succhini
vegetable oil spray (optional)
2/3 c. canned corn with red and green peppers, drained
1/3 c. shredded fat-free chees (optional)

Cut zucchini lengthwise in half.  Scoop center from zucchini; discard.
Spray outside of zucchini lightly with oil, if desired (fat free Italian
dressing can also be used, I've also had success making it without
either, but putting the zucchini on foil on the grill instead of
directly on the grill).  Mix corn and cheese (if using); spoon
into zucchini shells.  Cover and grill zucchini, cut sides up, 4-6 inches from
medium coals 10-12 minutes or until zucchini is crisp-tender and stuffing
is hot.
6 servings.

I have never made this using cheese, but the original recipe calls for it
so I included it here.

I also absolutely love zucchini just cut up and steamed with a little
dill weed.  Another good way to serve it is to saute (in a little water
or veggie broth) julienned zucchini and shredded carrots with some
oregano or basil (or both!).  This combo can also be combined with cooked
spaghetti squash. Yummy!!!!

Kristin