Re: Bah-humbug (from a scratch cook)

I heartily agree with Bev who wrote:

> I keep reading about rice cookers and bread makers and each time I do I
> wonder "why do people bother?"
>
> Brown rice can be cooked in about 45 minutes (white in 20) in any stove-top
> pan.  Just bring the water to a boil, dump in the rice, stir once, tightly
> cover and turn heat down to just as low as you can get.
>
> Ignore it for the required time.  NEVER lift the top to "see how it's
> coming along."  It's coming along quite nicely, thank you <G>.
>
> I've tried 3 bread machines and have returned all 3 because they can't
> begin to match the speed or quality of the whole wheat bread I whip up in a
> Cuisinart food processor (others just don't do the trick...not enough power
> in the motor.)

I use an ordinary, no-fancy frills, no-name-brand food processor with
the blade.

> Once I've got my dough I dump it into an UNGREASED bowl, cover it with a
> moist towel and leave it alone to rise for 30 minutes.  I then punch it
> down, place it into the loaf pan and again, cover it with a moist towel in
> an oven that has been turned on at 300 for a minute, then leave it alone
> again for another 30 minutes.
>
> Then I remove the towel, crank the heat up to 375 and 30 minutes later it's
> bread.
>

> Good health to you all!    Bev

We don't get bread machines here, and I have been reading the
listings since I subscribed, wondering what on earth this bread
machine is, and how it works.  Now I know I am not missing anything!
It's also incredibly therapeutic punching that dough down - if you
have got an angst, take it out on your bread dough!!

Thanks for all the interesting tips and the friendly vibe of this
list.

Fran
Frances Watts
for CompuQuest & Net!Heads
UUNet Internet Africa - Stanger franchise