Squash

In Digest 246 Susan asked about cutting squash. I also have a problem
cutting squash because I have tendonitis. I stick with the small types of
squash--like acorn--because they are easier to cut (less mass). Here is a
simple way I prepare acorn squash (you can use the recipe with butternut
squash, also).

Baked Acorn Squash <T>

1 acorn squash (or butternut squash)
Cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom
Apple juice

Preheat oven to 350F.

Trim the ends of the acorn squash so that after the squash is cut in half
the two halves will stand up without tilting or falling over. Cut the
squash in half. Scrape out and discard the seeds. Sprinkle the insides of
the squash halves with a little cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Coat with
nonstick spray a baking dish large enough to hold to squash. Pour some of
the apple juice in the dish (to about 1/4 inch deep). Place the squash
halves cut-side down in the baking dish. Add more apple juice to the dish
until it comes about 1/2 inch up the side of the squash.

Bake the squash for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Turn the squash
cut-side up in the dish. Spoon some of the apple juice from the pan into
the squash (the apple juice will be more of a syrup-like consistency at
this point). Sprinkle a little more cinnamon over the squash. Bake for
another 15-20 minutes or until the squash is soft.

This baked squash makes a great side dish or dessert.

Enjoy!

Bethann
Finally back in North Carolina!

Bethann D. Watson                       Cisco Systems, Inc.
Senior Technical Editor                 Research Triangle Park, NC
Knowledge Products-IBU                  Phone: (919) 472-2117
E-mail: bwatson@xxxxxxxxx               Fax: (919) 472-2399