Re: To Shirley on Shi-take

>Shitake mushrooms fresh or dried, can be made into delicious soups.  One of
>the best I've had was Carpathian mushrooms made into a soup with potatoes
>and onions.  The Carpathian were a special flavour, just like the shitake,
>and formed the main seasoning and broth.  Your fiance may like this.  Just
>don't call it Oriental!
>Victoria from North Vancouver, BC

I've posted this before, but for newcomers, Shiitakes and Chinese black
mushrooms are the same. However, I've paid $40 per pound for dried local
Shiitakes and only pay about $8 per pound for dried Chinese black mushrooms
at an oriental grocery store. We can get fresh shiitakes here, but I think
the flavor of the dried reconstituted ones is more intense and better, and
there is no chance of them spoiling before they are used up.

Sherry Rose                bears in politics --
sherry@xxxxxxxxx       http://home.aol.com/Sherry4803
                                      Updated 9/10 -- New photo each Friday!