collard greens

Paul asked what collard greens were-he's going to have to start posting odd
ingredients from his neck of the woods to puzzle the rest of us some day.
 Collard greens are Brassica oleracea, closely related to kale according to
the web site I checked.  They have big, broad, mostly flat dark green
leaves and grow in a rosette formation.  Collards have been eaten for at
least 2000 years and originated in the Mediterranean.  I have eaten them in
Greek and African dishes, so have always assumed they were a worldwide
vegetable.  Anyway, they are high in vitamins C and A, folic acid, and are
a good source of calcium and iron for vegetarians-better than spinach,
since they lack oxalic acid.  They are one of the greens recommended for
the prevention of macular degeneration.   The only trouble with them is
that most traditional American recipes for collards incude an almost
unbelievable amount of animal fat, so I'm trying to collect recipes that
are vlf.  I'll be trying the ramen noodle one this week, though I'll use
the soba noodles I already have around.  Thanks, Lorletha!

Looking for fifty ways to eat my greens, Anne.