Help needed - Cactus Apple Jam

I am sending this to 3 lists, so some of you may get more than one, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

I have been given a box of cactus apples. I remeber eating them when I was a kid, and have had jam at Mom & Pop restaurants while in the southwest, also as a kid. I need some advice.

First, I tried very carefully to peel one without getting any of the fine stickers in my fingers. I still got a few. I was wondering if rubber gloves (the kind nurses use) would prevent this. Any suggestions?

Second, when I bit into it, there were a lot of little seeds in the middle. I didn't remember that, but how do I remove them without throwing away the fruit itself?

Third, I am hpoglycemic (and have diabetic friends and relatives with which I wish to share the final product) and so I was planing to use granulated fructose instead of sugar. It has been suggested to me to buy "Slim Set" instead of regular pectin, because it is designed to use about half the sugar. Can anyone give me COMPLETE instructions on how to make sugarless Cacus Apple Jam, including how to prepare the fruit itself? It must be all natural, so please don't send nutra-sweet recipes.

Thank you all in advance...

Sandi
kd6hci@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.js-net.com/tmg
Living above the clouds in Lake Arrowhead