Butternut/Pear Soup

This is a recipe out of the Bay Area Vegetarian 1996 magazine I also posted
information about. Ihave not tried this recipe, but it comes from a source that
I respect. The recipe is from Millenium restaurant, a fabulous VEGAN restaurant
in San Francisco that serves gourmet food that follows McDougall's precepts.
Says so right on the menu! I've eaten there twice and love it.

********Butternut Squash and Pear Soup (with cashew-tarragon ceam)********
- makes 8 quarts

1 quart yellow onion, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups celery, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup sherry
2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
1/2 to 1 tsp. black pepper, depending on taste
3 quarts butternut squash, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 quart pears, sliced - anjou, bosc, or asian
3 quarts vegetable stock
2 tsp. fresh thyme
2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced

Saute onion, carrot, and celery in the sherry. When onions are soft, add half
the salt and pepper plus all the remaining ingredients. Simmer until the squash
is soft (approximately 45 minutes). Puree the soup in a blender. Return it to
the soup pot; simmer10 more minutes to marry the flavors,and then adjust salt
and pepper. Serve garnished with cashew tarragon cream and slices of pear.

****Cashew Tarragon Cream****

1 cup cashews
2 Tbsp. fresh tarragon
1/3 cup lemon juice
2Tbsp. white miso (any light miso)
2 cups water
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste

Blend all ingredients in a blender. Start with half the water, and add the
other half as it blends (you may need a little more than 2 cups). You are
looking for the consistency of heavy cram with no lumpiness.

Nutritional  Analysis:
Per cup: 130.9 calories (Kcal), 12% calories from fat, 4.5g protein, 25.5g
carbohydrate, 1.9g total fat (.3g saturated fat), 98.5mg calcium, 2.mg iron,
671.6mg sodium, 5.0g dietary fiber.

I would assume that most of the fat in this dish comes from the sauce, so you
could play with that recipe a little or skip it altogether.