pacreatitis & gallstones

I beg the list's indulgence for this non-recipe post.
I have a friend who nearly died this past week from pancreatitis, triggered
by
a gallstone which lodged in the bile duct. She ended up having her
gallbladder
removed.
She has followed a very low fat regime for a year or so and recently took
off additional weight with the "fat burning" vegetable soup recipe that has
been circulating. (The evening of the "attack" she had eaten at a friend's
and had way more fat than she was used to.)
We have been researching gallbladder problems and were stunned to learn
that gallstone formation is a very common problem associated with rapid
weight loss. We also read that in order for the gallbladder to empty
properly and not form stones, it must be triggered by about 10 grams of fat
per meal.
Does anyone have any thoughts on any of this? I have books by Drs. Ornish
and McDougall and have followed their programs for years quite happily
never giving my gallbladder a thought. (I do notice intense indigestion
when eating out where "politeness" makes consuming more fat than I am used
to a necessity.)
Any input either on-list or off would be greatly appreciated.
Nancy
cottrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx