Re: kombu

Peggy wrote:

>I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis and was told not to eat kelp.  Does anyone know
>is Kombu or other seaweeds are also verboten and why?

Hi Peggy:  I looked up your question in a nursing textbook and found a list
of common "goitrogens"  (or thyroid inhibiting substances) which people
with H.T. should avoid.  Seafood is listed but not seaweed specifically.
My guess is that anything harvested from salt water contains iodine and you
would be trying to avoid excess iodine.  Hope this helps a little.

- Mary Ann