Unidentified subject!

>No, it is not necessary to salt your eggplant. This stems from an old
>wives tale about bringing out the evil spirits from this delicious nightshade!

I was under the impression that salting helped drain out the bitter juices
in the eggplant.  This is why you lighly salt them, then put them in a
colander with a weight on top, then rinse the juices away.  I do this all
the time and have never had bitter, salty eggplant.

Michelle Leberte * University of Pennsylvania * mleberte@xxxxxxxxxxxxx