Unidentified subject!

Zoe wrote:
>I have another question: what do folks do with those large broccoli stems that
>seem inedible? I have been throwing mine away but it really seems like a waste.
>Do you think it's possible to steam or boil them, blend them & use them for
>soup or will they always be really tough? I make a delicious curried
>broccoli-potato soup, for which I usually use frozen broccoli - but maybe I
>could add these. Any ideas for other things to do with them as well would be
>appreciated..
>
>Zoe Sodja

I take the stems and remove the tough outside skin with a potato peeler, cut off
the woody bottom part, and then slice the stem into 4 parts if very thick or in
2 parts if as round as a quater or less. Steam or boil as you would the
florettes (I usually do them about 5 minutes for crisp-tender).  Use as is with
sprinkle of butter buds or use as the base for soup. Can also be used raw as
part of the vegetables in a stir-fry dish.

Hope this helps.

ArnieB