Re: Carrot cake recipe?

Hiya,

Does anyone have a great recipe for a {moist!) carrot cake?

thanks
karin

This recipe is delicious - I made it for my family's holiday dinner, and it was a big hit. There was icing for this cake, but it uses margarine, so I won't mention it here (though a standard milk and powdered sugar icing would work just fine). A nice adaptation would be to throw in some golden raisins too. Enjoy!

Lighten Up! Carrot Cake

For Cake:
1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 large egg whites)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup apple butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots

TO MAKE CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray one 8-inch layer cake pan with non-fat spray. Combine the egg substitute (or egg whites), sugar, applesauce, apple butter, vanilla, and all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then beat just until it is a smooth consistency. Stir in the carrots. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.