apple gingerbread

One of our members brought this to the pot luck dinner at our Ornish Support
Group meeting and it was a big hit.  I gave the recipe to a friend, who made
it with pears instead of apples, and she said it was wonderful.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                            Apple Gingerbread

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Cakes                            Desserts
                Fruit

   4      cups          apple slices
   1      cup           molasses
   1      cup           sugar, divided
     1/2  cup           applesauce
     1/2  cup           egg substitute
   2 1/2  cups          all-purpose flour
   1      teaspoon      ground ginger
   1      teaspoon      ground cinnamon
   1      teaspoon      ground cloves
   1      teaspoon      baking soda
     1/2  cup           boiling water

Spread apples in bottom of ungreased 9"x13" pan.
Sprinkle apples with 1/2 cup of sugar and broil for 5 minutes.
Cream together molasses, 1/2 cup sugar and applesauce.
Add egg substitute and mix.  Sift together flour and spices.
Add dry ingredients to molasses mixture and blend.  Add 1/2 cup boiling
water and mix again.
Pour batter over apples.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.
Cake is done when center springs back.