Split-pea and Zucchini Soup

Hi All,

My Mum and I made this one on the weekend...with great results. My Mum is not a vegetarian and I always get "This is really nice Em...would be even better with some chicken in it", but she went back for seconds without complaint. I added some cooked soup pasta the second night. It's adapted from Fat Free Cooking by Anne Sheasby.

Split Pea and Zucchini Soup

1 Onion, diced
175g Yellow Split Peas, soaked (We used red lentils, as no soaking is required, and it worked fine.)
2 large zucchini, diced
1 tsp turmeric
1L veg stock

Fry the onion in a little stock for a couple of minutes. Add the turmeric and all but a couple of handfulls of the zucchini and cook for a couple more minutes. Add the split peas and stock. Cook covered until the peas are mushy (about 1 hour, less if you use red lentils). Boil some water cook the reserved zucchini for about a minute, so they are hot but still crunchyish, then drain, add to the soup and serve.

Enjoy

Emma