Fruit Salad with Crystallized Ginger (from: Eight Weeks To Optimum Health,
Dr. Andrew Weil)
3 cups sliced fresh fruit
3 slices crystallized ginger, minced finely
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Add crystallized ginger to the fruit.
2. Pour a cup of orange juice over the fruit, mix well, and let sit for at
least 30 minutes before serving.
5 firm, ripe pears
3 cups apple cider
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh gingerroot
salt to taste
3 T. arrowroot starch
1/2 tsp. pure almond extract
1. Peel the pears, quarter them lengthwise, and core. Slice pears thinly and
place in a saucepan with the apple cider and gingerroot. Add a pinch of salt.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until pears are tender, about 15
3. Dissolve arrowroot starch in 1/3 cup cold water and add to the simmering
pears, stirring, until the sauce is thick and clear.
4. Remove from heat and stir in almond extract. Serve warm or cold.
Barb in FL