sprouts and a recipe

The information was to avoid alfalfa sprouts (perhaps others?).  If I
remember right it was because of e-coli, I don't remember the details.

The following recipe was part of a dinner menu for Thai food.

HOT AND SPICY SALAD
(Recipes by Sandra Rose Gluck - Biography magazine March 2001)

Look for firm cucumbers, without blemishes, and use fresh lime juice, not
bottled.  If the cucumbers give off a lot of liquid, drain the salad before
serving.  The flavor of the lime dressing will permeate the vegetables making
the salad piquant, sweet, and spicy.

1/4 cup lime juice
5 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and thinly sliced
3 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 large red bell pepper, trimmed, seeded, and cut into thin strips

1.  In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, sugar, salt, and crushed red
pepper flakes until the sugar has dissolved.
2.  Add the cucumbers, carrots, and red bell pepper and toss to combine.
Refrigerate several hours until well chilled.  Serves 4.

Barbara in FL