Trader Joe's Cream Cheese Substitute

 I'm a new subscriber.  I found the list because I used the keyword Trader
Joe on the Google search engine and the fatfree list was one of the top hits.

I really like Trader Joe's, but I have a (NOT) fat free story to tell.

Yesterday, an elderly woman with a significant heart problem told me about a
cream cheese substitute (Tofutti, rhymes with fruity) that she buys from that
store.  She said that she loves cheese, but is not allowed to eat it.  She
says that Tofutti tastes better than cream cheese, and she eats it by the
spoonful.

Today, I picked up a package of Tofutti.  Yes, it does taste good, but any
suggestion that it's related to Tofu is very misleading; 90 percent of its
calories are from fat, hydrogenated soybean oil.  Each serving has 1 gram of
protein, 1 gram of carbo, and 8 grams of fat.  Of those 8 fat grams, 2 are
saturated and 6 are polyunsaturated.  The lettering that describes what it
does not have (dairy, cholesterol, lactose, butterfat) are easily read.  The
lettering that describes what it does have is tiny.

Trader Joe's is a fun place, but I don't think that promoting a low fat
regimen is high on its agenda.

Jim Logan
Alexandria VA