Re: Coming to terms with tempeh

>Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:19:32 EST
>From: RWard2121@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Coming to terms with tempeh
>
>My past attempts to use tempeh have left me rather disgusted, but, strangely
>enough, and to my husband's mortification, I want to try again. I am hoping
>to gain some insight, in general, about tempeh, from some of you that are
>well-seasoned "users".   It is one of the last vegetarian challenges I have
>yet to conquer.  Do I understand correctly that it is fermented beans of some
>type?  Is anyone able to comfort me in any way about its appearance (I think
>you know what I mean)?  I have a small block of it in my refrigerator's
>"meat" drawer and don't know quite what I should do with it.  Please hurry,
>as it is dated March 10th!   It is made by White Wave, and is labeled "Five
>Grain".  If your suggestions don't fit the rules of the list, please e-mail
>privately, as I am very open-minded.
>
>Thanks in advance,

Tempeh can be made from beans (soy, usually) and/or grains.
The beans and/or grains are acted on by a particular
bacteria, and changed to tempeh:  for an analogy, think of
milk being acted on by bacteria and changed to yogurt.

I like tempeh a lot.  :)  Soy tempeh is actually my
preference, but I like all of them which I've tasted.

Simplest preparation I'm aware of (I do this one quite a
bit):  cut in slices, marinate in tamari and lots of
shredded ginger for about half an hour at least.  Put on a
oiled cookie sheet (allow some ginger to cling to the tempeh
slices) and bake at 400 for about 20 minutes, turning over
once.

I serve this where meat would fit in the meal:  for example:
tempeh, baked potato, veggie, and salad would make up a
meal.  Tempeh can make good sandwiches, too.

There are a variety of ways to cook tempeh.  You could look
on SOAR:  http://soar.berkeley.edu/recipes/ for some
recipes.  Or the fatfree archives:  http://www.fatfree.com .

Cheers,
Pat