new recipe's

I've been eating vegitarian meals since last November when I was
diagnosed with heart disease.  I've adapted many of my old favorites,
with a strong leaning towards stir fries:

Easy polenta appetizer:

16 oz tube of precooked polenta
1 can of red or black beans
1 cup of your favorite salsa

Slice 1" from the polenta, fry in non stick pan with a spray of Pam or
spray with Pam and broil.

Heat the beans with the salsa.

Serve two slices of toasted polenta under the salsa mixture per plate,
serves 6-8

Spicy Plaintain and Mushroom stew with sweet potatoes

2-4 ripe plaintains, cubed
2 medium size sweet potatoes or yams cut into 1 inch pieces
5-7 ozs of dried mushrooms of your choice
tofu (optional)
sun dried tomatos (optional)
One small onion
One small dried pepper
Garlic to taste
salt to taste
Tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons vineger (optional)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)

    Soak the mushrooms and pepper together in two cups warm water.  Cut
the yams and plaintains into roughly inch square pieces.  After half an
hour, remove the pepper, seed and mince. Chop the onion.  Use less then
the whole pepper if it is a very hot variety.  Drain the mushrooms,
strain the liquid and reserve.

    Spray a wok or large frying pan with Pam.  Stir fry the chopped
onion, add garlic to taste and toaste.  Toss in the sweet potatoes.  Add
the researved liquid and simmer 15--20 minutes until tender.  Add
mushrooms and bring to a boil.  Add salt, and optional dried tomatos and
tofu.  Stir cornstarch into a bit of water, add to mixture to obtain
desired consistancy of gravy.  Serve over rice, noodles, or alone.

Tofu in black bean sauce

16 oz low fat tofu
32 oz bag frozen broccoli
16 oz can black beans
4 tbs fermented black bean sauce
1 small onion
garlic to taste
soy sauce to taste
1/2-1 cup water
1 tbs cornstarch

Slice tofu into 1" cubes, dice onion.  Place wok on stove, add Pam.
Toast onion, ad garlic.  Toss in Broccoli, add water to steam, 10-15
minutes.  When Broccoli is done, add black bean sauce, black beans and
tofu.  Bring to boil and add cornstarch mixed with water until desired
thickness is achieved.  Add soy sauce or salt to taste. Serve over
rice.  2-4 people.

--
J. Lamar Freed, Psy.D.
jlfreed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx