Re: Tempeh (from Sunny)

> My past attempts to use tempeh have left me rather disgusted, but,
strangely
> enough, and to my husband's mortification, I want to try again. I am
hoping
> to gain some insight, in general, about tempeh, from some of you that are
> well-seasoned "users".   It is one of the last vegetarian challenges I
have

Catching up on old emails. I make a tempeh stew frequently and we really
love it.  No absolute recipe, but it goes something like this, feel free to
vary ingredients to suit your taste.

1 pound tempeh, any kind, cut into cubes, say 1 inch square or so
1 onion, chopped
1/3 or 1/2 pound shitake mushrooms, or whatever you have
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 or 2 carrots, chopped
water and/or red wine
fresh or dried herbs, sage is wonderful, thyme, etc.
garlic
soy sauce or salt
freshly ground pepper
flour

brown the tempeh in a heavy skillet with a few drops of oil, or a quick
spray or veggie oil.
Brown well on all sides, this is key for the full flavor.
Add in the onions, celery and carrots, sauté until they cook a bit and begin
to release their fragrance, sprinkle with a dash of salt or soy sauce.
Add sliced mushrooms, sauté until they begin to release their liquid.
add in as much crush garlic as you dare and a generous amount of herbs, say
a good teaspoon dry or a tablespoon fresh, or more, lots of freshly ground
pepper.

Stir in about 2 or 3 tablespoons flour, stir and cook so it is no longer
"raw".  Slow add in 3 cups liquid, I like a combination red wine and water
or veggie broth.  Stir to mix with the flour and keep stirring until it is
smooth and comes to a simmer, bring to nearly a boil, reduce to a simmer and
let it go for 30 minutes or so.  Taste and correct seasonings.

Add peas if you like.  Serve as in a bowl, or over rice or noodles or mashed
potatoes.

Jan

I, too, made a recent dish for my first use of tempeh and was delighted by
the texture and density of tempeh as opposed to tofu, and the manner in which
it did absorb flavors. I'm 100% sold on tempeh. I used soy tempeh and veggie
tempah cut in cubes and and added veggies, some small pasta, and Braggs, etc.
I think I posted it to the list.

However, it was quite salty, I believe because I added an entire 12 oz jar of
roasted red peppers in balsamic vinegar, and it became very salty on top of
the Braggs Aminos (for those who are not familiar with Braggs, it's like soy
sauce, but healthier).
Anyone who would like to share their TEMPEH recipes w/me and others, please
post to the list or, speaking for myself, feel free to email me directly.

Sunny