Mom's Old-Fashioned German Apple Butter

Yield: Approximately 5 pints
on).  There is no better apple butter than this one!  I think one of the =
keys is the wonderful blend of spices combined with a bit of vinegar to =
keep the 'fresh apple' taste in the apple butter.  As far as I know, =
there is absolutely no better way to warm a house during the holidays =
than to fill the place with the aroma of hot spiced apple butter =
simmering in the kitchen!

8 cups apple pulp (pulp from approximately 4 lbs or 16 medium apples)
1/2 cup vinegar or cider vinegar
4 cups white table sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp ground clove

To make pulp: Slice uncored, unpeeled apples into chunks, discarding =
only the stems.  Simmer in 4 cups water until tender and soft, adding =
water if necessary to prevent scorching (about 40 minutes).  Note: This =
step is easier if you process the apples in 2 pans, especially if you =
don't have a very large skillet.  Gather the apple pulp (apple sauce) by =
pressing the fruit through a fruit strainer.

To make the apple butter: In a large pot, combine the apple pulp with =
all other ingredients.  Simmer on medium-low until thick, about 2 to 3 =
hours.  The apple butter is done when a spoonful dropped on a plate =
keeps its shape and does not weep.  If cooked until too thick, thin with =
a bit of apple juice or water.

To can the apple butter: Process the apple butter in pint jars for 10 =
minutes in a boiling-water canner.  Fill jars to about 1/4 inch from top =
of jars.