Indian chickpea curry

This is a yummy, quick, and tasty chickpea curry with a textured
sauce. I almost didn't bother trying it because it didn't look
"involved" enough to be good. But one day when I had almost no fresh
vegetables except onions and green peppers, I tried it and was
pleasantly surprised. This one is now in our "keeper" file.

If you don't add the cilantro until serving time, unused portions can
be frozen.

Adapted from a recipe by Indian Model [and cookbood author] Padma
Lakshmi. Got the original recipe from the TV Food Network web page.

2 onions, quartered
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
6 large firm, ripe tomatoes  (I used a can of tomatoes)
2 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
1 tablespoon Garam Masala
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, or to taste
Salt, to taste
2 (15-ounce) cans chick peas or garbanzo beans, drained and
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, or to taste

In a blender or food processor puree the onions, green pepper,
tomatoes and gingerroot. Put puree in a saucepan and cook, stirring
occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the Garam Masala and chili powder
and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the salt and chick
peas and cook, stirring, until heated through.

Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Serve the curry over rice or
with warmed tortillas.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings