Indian chickpea curry

This is a yummy, quick, and tasty chickpea curry with a textured
sauce. I almost didn't bother trying it because it didn't look
"involved" enough to be good. But one day when I had almost no fresh
vegetables except onions and green peppers, I tried it and was
pleasantly surprised. This one is now in our "keeper" file.

If you don't add the cilantro until serving time, unused portions can
be frozen.

CHOLE
Adapted from a recipe by Indian Model [and cookbood author] Padma
Lakshmi. Got the original recipe from the TV Food Network web page.

2 onions, quartered
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
6 large firm, ripe tomatoes  (I used a can of tomatoes)
2 tablespoons chopped gingerroot
1 tablespoon Garam Masala
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, or to taste
Salt, to taste
2 (15-ounce) cans chick peas or garbanzo beans, drained and
rinsed
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro, or to taste

In a blender or food processor puree the onions, green pepper,
tomatoes and gingerroot. Put puree in a saucepan and cook, stirring
occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add the Garam Masala and chili powder
and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the salt and chick
peas and cook, stirring, until heated through.

Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro. Serve the curry over rice or
with warmed tortillas.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings