Thai Aubergine (Eggplant) Curry

On Mon 08 May 2000, Emily Moss <emoss76@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has some good Thai recipes?  I have had
> some great sauces over veggies and rice but am looking for something
> that would be a bit lower in fat.

* Thai Curried Aubergine (Eggplant) *

A tested recipe from <URL:http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~kake/cookery/>.
This recipe is adapted from one in the (now, sadly, defunct) _BBC
Vegetarian Good Food_ magazine. With this amount of curry paste, and
using the number of chillies specified in my Red Curry Paste recipe,
this isn't an overly hot dish. To spice it up a bit, make a hotter
curry paste rather than just adding more. You should really use Thai
basil in this, but ordinary basil is good too.

* Serves 2 as a main dish *

1 large aubergine, prepared as below
1 vegetable stock cube
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp Red Curry Paste (see below)
1 large red, orange or yellow (sweet bell) pepper, deseeded and sliced
2 tsp black bean sauce or 1/2 tsp black beans, crushed
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar
20 medium-sized basil leaves (optional, but nice)

1. Halve the aubergine and slice across the other way; halving
lengthways gives half-moon slices, which are easier to eat, but
halving widthways first gives rectangular slices, which look
nicer. The larger the slices, the longer they need to cook in step 3.

2. In a heated wok, saute the garlic in stock made with the cube until
golden-brown.

3. Stir in the curry paste and add the aubergine, along with a little
more water if needed. Mix well and continue to cook for about 3
minutes.

4. Add the peppers, black bean sauce, soy sauce and sugar, along with
6 tbsp water. Simmer for 5 minutes until vegetables are cooked. Stir
in the basil and serve at once.

* Thai Red Curry Paste *

This recipe is adapted from one in the (now, sadly, defunct) _BBC
Vegetarian Good Food_ magazine. The original recipe used 8 large dried
red chillies - I use fresh ones instead. 2 medium chillies gives a
medium-hot paste; add more to taste!

* Makes 125ml (1/2 cup, 8 tbsp) *

2 or more fresh red chillies, deseeded and chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, chopped
bottom stems from a large bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped
    (original recipe used 3 coriander (cilantro) roots)
1 x 1-inch (2.5 cm) cube fresh ginger or galangal, chopped
1 large shallot or equivalent onion, chopped
peel of 1 lime (original used 1 tbsp chopped Kaffir lime peel)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp white or black peppercorns

1. Chop the chillies, garlic, lemongrass, coriander stems, ginger and
shallot or onion.

2. Prepare the lime peel by removing as much of the white pith as
possible (lay it outside down and slice the pith off with a sharp
knife held horizontally) and then chopping.

3. Place all ingredients in the blender and whizz to a fairly smooth
paste. The raw ingredients come to about 1 cup (225ml, 8fl oz), so
it's enough to put in most small blenders.

4. Store in a screw-topped jar in the fridge. I've kept it for a week
or more.

--
Fatfree vegan recipes at http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~kake/cookery/fatfree.html