babaghanooj

Hi, all,

Babaghanoush in its various spellings is a middle eastern dish, which is why
the Greeks on the list were confused.  You can find recipes for it in the
archives as well as on www.vegweb.com and the berkeley site listed earlier.
It generally does contain tahini (sesame paste) as someone said, but you can
always approximate and fool with the ingredients to change that.  Hummous, my
other fave middle eastern dip, is a similar dish based on chickpeas instead
of eggplant.  I make that one a lot in the summer since no cooking is
involved, so I know the ingredients include the evil tahini again as well as
more oil (which I don't add, of course), lemon juice, fresh garlic and
various spices, according to region and taste.  We dip into it with whole
wheat pita.  I have a vita-mix so I sneak in fresh veggies which my kids
don't notice due to the fine puree, the garlic and the hot sauce I add (not
normally an ingredient but I never claimed to be normal).  As a side note,
this is the dish I used to put Breath-Asure to the test - and it passed!