Smoky Pinto Bean And Potato Soup

This recipe came from another list and I made it the other day. It needs a little more flavor, but DH, who usually likes his food very spicy, suggested that I not add anything to the pot but the eater could add more herbs if desired. He then proceeded to add fatfree saltines to his bowl, and I added some garlic/herb powder. The liquid smoke flavor leaves a pleasant taste that you don't want to overwhelm.

Kathleen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                     Smoky Pinto Bean And Potato Soup

Recipe By     : Smart Crockery Cooking
Categories    : Beans And Legumes                Potatoes
                Slow Cooker                      Vegetables

   1      medium        onion -- chopped
   2      medium        red potatoes
                        cut into 1/2" cubes
   2                    carrots -- thinly sliced
   1                    celery stalk -- thinly sliced
  14      ounces        canned pinto beans -- rinsed and drained
  28      ounces        fat-free broth
   2      cloves        garlic -- chopped
     1/2  teaspoon      cumin seed
     1/4  teaspoon      black pepper
   1      teaspoon      liquid smoke flavoring -- Mesquite
   1      tablespoon    white wine vinegar

Combine the onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, beans, optional sausage, and broth in an electric slow cooker. Stir in the cumin, pepper, smoke flavoring, and vinegar. Cover and cook on HIGH until the vegetables are tender.

Cooking time: 3-1/2 to 5 hours; based on a 3-1/2 to 4 qt cooker.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 20109 0 0 0 0 0