Re: Montreal vegetarian restaurants

Hi Janette,

There is a small chain of vegetarian restaurants in Montreal called "Le
Commensal".  They have locations in the suburbs, but I believe they have
three in Montreal itself: one on St-Denis between Ontario and de
Maisonneuve, one (nicer than the first one imho, although the food is the
same) on McGill and Ste-Catherine (it's on the 2nd floor, just look up and
you'll find it) and one near l'Oratoire St-Joseph on Queen Mary Rd (but I'm
not sure, rarely go in that part of town). So they are all near universities
(Universite du Quebec a Montreal, McGill University and Universite de
Montreal in that order).

It's a buffet so you can try 25 dishes if you want (just watch the servings,
you'll pay by weight), and there is good variety.  They also have home-made
breads and soups. On top of every dish, there is a note with the mention ovo
and/or lacto and the staff is more than happy to give you more info on
ingredients. The food is very good, I know the location on McGill serve
espresso and wine and if you don't feel like having dessert, don't look at
them, they are very convincing.  About $10-15 (Can)/person for one large
dinner plate and a beverage.

As for snack bars, you will find a Lebanese counter on every downtown street
corner and they all have the same menu which contains a "vegetarian plate"
around $6 (Can).  I know they are not vegetarian establishements but they
are fast and cheap and easy to find.

Bon appetit!
Sophie

Disclaimer: I am not associated with "Le Commensal" in any way; I just love
the food.