Yogurt cheese and apple sauce

There have been posts in the past about yogurt cheese. I know that you
put the yogurt in a strainer.  But does someone have more details than
that for the cooking impaired.  Also, do you use it as spread just like
cream cheese, or is it more like cottage cheese? What do you use it
for?  I thought the whole idea sounded terribly interesting.
Also, how do you use apple sauce in baking?  Do you do a 1 for 1 switch
with the oil, or does it have to do with the eggs? Please be detailed,
because I am really cooking impaired, and I have never baked with apple
sauce before.

Thanks in advance.

Rhonda Pitka
fsrdp1@xxxxxxx