Baked Potato Toppings

Here are a bunch I have collected from this list over the years

I got this recipe from the Simply Soy Cookbook at
http://www.soyfoods.com/Simply
Soy

I made this over the weekend and used it as a dip, a sandwich spread and a
potato topping - all in the same weekend.  It was really good.  I will make it
again and may try other vegetables in it.  I can see real possibilities here.

1 pkg lite silken tofu (Mori-Nu Extra-Firm worked for me)
1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped green onion

Puree the tofu, lemon juice, onion, and garlic powder in food processor with
blade until smooth.  Remove processing blade.  Put in grating blade and shred
carrots and onion into mixture.  Remove all to a bowl, add salt and spinach and
mix well.
****

---------------------------
* Dijon Mushroom Potatoes *
---------------------------

Tops 4 medium jacket potatoes

1 medium onion
1 sweet green bell pepper
1 small carrot, about 50g (2oz)
225g (8oz) mushrooms
100ml (4 fl oz, 1/2 cup) water or vegetable stock (can use a cube)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
freshly-ground black pepper

1. Chop the onion, deseed and chop the green pepper, peel and grate
the carrot and slice the mushrooms, halving them across the other way
first if they are large.

2. Saute the vegetables in the water or stock, in a large frying pan
(skillet), until most of the liquid is gone and the vegetables are
soft.

3. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a bowl, adding a bit more
water if you wish (makes a thinner sauce) and add to the vegetables in
the pan. Mix well and cook, stirring, over low heat for about a minute
until thickened.

4. Serve poured over hot, split baked potatoes with a crisp green
salad.
****
Ideas for baked potatoes:
Serve a large opened baked potato with bowls of salsa, chopped onions,
ff sour cream and/or cheeses (cottage cheese is good), shredded lettuce,
refried beans, etc.  Build a taco on it.  Very yummy, very easy.

Slice a baking potato in quarter inch slices.  Preheat oven to 400
degrees.  Soak in ice water for 10 minutes (this is an important step,
don't skip).  Drain, pat dry.  Spray baking sheet and arrange potatoes
in a single layer.  Dust with salt and pepper (cayenne if you like) and
bake 40 minutes.  They get crispy and brown.  This is a very good
substitute if you're seduced by french fries.

Chop potato into large chunks.  Peel and quarter an onion.  Place onion
and potato on heavy foil.  Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, salt and
pepper.  Sometimes I throw in several whole cloves of garlic or some
chopped carrots.  Wrap up into foil bundle.  Bake at 400 degrees for
approx. 40 minutes.  I throw this on the grill when I'm cooking out.
***
Here are some of my favorite ideas for potato toppings:

- steak sauce  (it's my favorite, and it's available in most restuarants)
- salsa
- vinegar (Balsamic works very well as do malt and seasoned rice vinegars)
- soy yogurt (in lieu of sour cream)
- fresh lemon juice
- fatfree salad dressings
- soy sauce
- soup
- any leftovers (especially ones that have some sauce like stir fries or stews)
- miso mixed with a little water
- steamed veggies with some of the steaming water
- soy cheese, melted
- chili
- fatfree barbecue sauce
- cooked beans (with some of the cooking liquid)
- canned tomatoes (Rotel -- the ones with hot peppers added -- are great)
- soy mayonnaise with fresh herbs added
- chili sauce
- spaghetti sauce
- fatfree gravy (we really like the Hain's brown gravy mix!)
- vegetarian worchester sauce
- prepared taco filling (use taco seasoning mix and reconstituted TVP)
- sloppy joe filling (use a commercial canned variety and add reconstituted
TVP)
- Build a salad w/ chopped lettuce and raw veggies on top of the potato, then
add salad dressing or salsa

And, if you are at Wendy's, ask for some little packets of their "Chili Sauce".
It's not too hot and it's very good on potatoes.

You can use any of these alone, or you can combine a couple of them. For
instance, I like to top a potato with steamed veggies and vinegar. And we enjoy
tomatoes and beans mixed. For a quick and easy meal, open a can of fatfree
veggie chili, cover your potato, and top with a slice of soy cheese. I also
really like building a salad on top of the potato (we do that at Wendy's when
we are travelling). It's kind of a cross between a taco salad and potato salad.

As you can see, we use baked potatoes as a base and put just about everything
on them. Indeed, fruit is about the only thing I can't imagine putting on one.
**

Chili beans
Thick lentil soup
Stew  (any kind if its thick)
Any Indian style curries
Spagetti sauce

Fat-Free Hummus
FF Black Bean Dip
Any thick soup
Any vegetable puree
Sauted mushrooms and onions

The McDougall Program - Twelve Days to Dynamic Health has a recipe for
"Carrot Butter" that I'll be glad to e-mail you if you want - but I'm not
sure it fits the guidelines of this list. Also, in The McDougall Program
for Maximum Weight Loss there is a recipe for Dijon Mushroom Potatoes and
I'll be glad to post that if anyone is interested (this is a sauce to put
on top of baked potatoes)

-
Gloriamarie Amalfitano, knitting/spinning all around San Diego, instigator
of the Knit Together for resident and visiting San Diego Fiber Folk:
mailto:SanDiegoKnits-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx prayer list:
mailto:fiberartistsupport-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx  "When several fibers are
twisted together they are always stronger than one fiber alone.  It is also
true with people." (Patsy Sue Zawistoski, by permission)