Calculating Fat Calories

In a message dated 6/2/0 3:24:40 AM, fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< If the labels don't list %calories from fat, you calculate it like
this:

calories from fat
-------------------- x 100 = %calories from fat
total calories >>

Personally, I find math WAY too intimidating to do this calculation. But I
have an easier way to do the same thing.

Since I'm shooting for 10 percent calories from fat or less (as are most of
us, I think), I take advantage of how easy it is to calculate 10 percent in a
base-10 system.

The total calories of a processed food item are always listed on the label
(at least in the U.S.). You can calculate 10 percent of that number by simply
moving the decimal point one place. The figure you get is the maximum
calories that can come from fat.

For instance, if a food has 270 calories, then it has to have 27 or fewer
calories from fat to fit my specifications. Sometimes if it's only a few over
(i.e. 30 calories from fat), I will still use it but add something like a
baked potato or skim milk or serving of fruit (something which is either
fat-free or nearly so) to bring down my total percent calories from fat for
the meal overall.

I find this much easier and quicker to calculate.

Katrina