Re: Recipe request!

This is from the fatfree archive at www.fatfree.com
There are several red pepper sauces, but no red pepper stew.  You might
check it yourself to see if you recognize it.

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)

                        eggplant-garlic-slather recipe

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:57:44 -0800 (PST)
 From: emily@xxxxxxxx (Emily Swensen)

 Here is non-tomato pasta sauce.  It was actually billed as something
 called a "slather" in Vegetarian Times, but after devouring it once as
 a vegetable dip, we decided to try it as a pasta sauce.  WHAT A
 WINNER!  Even if you don't think you like eggplant, try this--the
 combination of flavors will make your head spin.

 Eggplant and Garlic Slather (modified from Veg Times, 9/96)

 1 eggplant, about 1 1/5 pounds (all fall we used 5-7 small japanese
 eggplants from the garden--more work, but delectable flavor)
 1 head garlic (I use 1.5-2 heads)
 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
 1/4 cup chopped basil or parsley (I've never tried the parsley)
 2-3 Tbsp nonfat yogurt
 Salt and pepper to taste

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut slits in eggplant(s).  Place in a
shallow
 roasting pan or on a cookie sheet.  You can put your garlic on the same
pan
 after cutting the tops off and wrapping it in tin foil.  I always use my
 trusty clay garlic roaster, usually crammed full.

 Bake garlic and eggplant until eggplant wrinkles and starts to collapse;
 about 1 to 1.25 hours.  Remove from oven.  Allow to cool enough to be
able
 to touch.

 Slice open eggplant and scrape pulp into bowl of food processor.  Squeeze
 garlic pulp into processor bowl too.  Add the vinegar, lemon juice if you
 like, basil or parsley, yogurt, salt and pepper.  Process until mix is
 fairly smooth, but still a little chunky.  Alternatively, chop eggplant
pulp
 with a knife and mix with other ingredients.  You can refrigerate a few
 hours to allow flavors to blend, but when making pasta sauce, I don't
 bother.  Makes about 2 cups, maybe a little more.

 Toss with your pasta or use as a fantastic dip.

 kwlacto lacto