Black Bean & Chipotle Soup

I adapted this recipe to be fatfree and served it with fresh whole wheat
bread and fresh cut up fruit.

I've never used adobo sauce and don't know if it is vegetarian, so please
don't yell at me if it has some awful thing in it.  I've looked for this
product in several groceries stores, but have never found it.  I stuck a
whole dried pepper in this soup and was going to remove it when I put the
left overs away, but DH suggested that I leave it in for now.

Kathleen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                        Black Bean & Chipotle Soup

Recipe By     : Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special, page 70
Categories    : Beans And Legumes                Soups And Stews
                Vegetables

     1/4  cup           red wine
   2      cups          chopped onions
   4                    garlic cloves -- minced or pressed
   2      cups          peeled and diced carrots
   1 1/2  teaspoons     ground cumin
   1      cup           chopped celery
   1      cup           chopped green bell peppers
   3      cups          cooked black beans
                        (two 15-ounce cans undrained) *
     1/2                dried chipotle pepper
                        OR 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo
                        sauce**
   2      cups          chopped fresh tomatoes
                        undrained canned tomatoes -- (14-ounce can)
     1/2  cup           orange juice
     1/2  cup           water
                        sour cream -- (optional)
                        OR Jalapeno Cream -- (optional)
                        (see separate recipe)
                        chopped fresh cilantro -- (optional)

KMS note:  I added two cups of veggie broth because the dish seemed to need
more liquid to be a soup.  I used red wine instead of oil.

*1 cup dried black beans will yield about 3 cups cooked.

**These spicy hot, smoky peppers are available in the produce sections of
well- stocked supermarkets.  If using dried chipotle, remove it before
serving.  If using canned chipotle, choose one that can be packed into a
teaspoon measure.  It will disintegrate as the soup cooks.  We recommend La
Torre brand canned chipotles in adobo sauce, which is a thick, spicy tomato
puree.

Serves 4 to 6.  Yields 8 cups.  Preparation time: 25 to 35 minutes.
Simmering time: 20 minutes

How surprising-the wonderful smoky flavor of even a tiny chipotle pepper
can pervade a thick, hearty bean soup loaded with vegetables.  It's the
perfect counterpoint to the mellow black beans.

The best sidekick for this soup in a Daily Special is a bright-tasting
salad with the bite of bitter greens or the acidity of tomatoes or citrus.

Warm the red wine in a nonreactive soup pot.  Saute the onions and garlic
in the wine for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are
translucent.  Add the carrots and cumin and cook on medium heat, stirring
often, for a few minutes.  Add the celery and bell peppers, lower the heat,
cover, and cook for about 10 minutes.  Add the beans, chipotle, tomatoes,
orange juice, and water and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (see Notes).
If you're not using canned beans, add 1/2 cup of bean-cooking liquid or
additional water.

If desired, garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream or Jalapeno
Cream and a sprinkling of cilantro.

Note: To save time, prepare the carrots, celery, and bell peppers while the
onions cook.  Just remember to stir the onions in between chopping!

If using fresh tomatoes, you may want to simmer the soup for an additional
minutes.

MENU IDEAS: Tomato flowers, Five-Herb Salad, Florida Salad with Ginger
Dressing, Kiwi, Orange & Baby Greens, and Southern Wheat-free Cornbread.