Re: dressings for eating out

On Thu 13 Apr 2000, Dianna Coldiron <dcold@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> A while back, there was a discussion of how to eat out
> at restaurants. [...] Who knows what's in half those "ff" dressings,
> so I just whip together a little spicy mustard and some balsamic
> vinegar.  Or use some red wine vinegar if they don't have balsamic.

Fresh lemon juice is good too - most places have lemon wedges for
drinks or for squeezing on fish or something. My favourite fatfree
French dressing (recipe below) is based on lemon juice. Or if you want
to get fancy, you could get a tomato juice from the bar as an aperitif
(watch out as some brands contain Worcestershire sauce, which usually
contains anchovies), save a few tablespoons from the bottom of the
bottle and mix in a bit of mustard with that to go with your salad.

Kake

* French Dressing (Without Oil) *

* Makes 3 tbsp *

2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp made-up mild mustard
freshly-ground black pepper to taste

Put it all in a screw-top jar and shake well. Keep it in the fridge
and shake before serving.