Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #256

> Please--help from anyone.
> I have a huge amount of basil in my garden that i want to preserve.  Any
> ideas?
> I am going to make a large batch of tomato-basil sauce based on Ornish's
> recipe.  I was planning on freezing it but am toying w/canning.  Ideas?
> I was also planning on making basil ice cubes--chopped basil w/lemon juice
> and garlic.  But I'm not sure how well that will work.
> I really would appreciate suggestions.  Thanks in advance.
> Shannon
> sjw@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Shannon,

I love to grow basil too.  I preserve it by plucking the leaves, spreading them
out on a paper towel and microwaving them for 30 seconds.  Open the door,
let them cool for a minute, then nuke again for 30 more seconds.  Then lay out
in a safe place (away from pets, breezy windows, etc) for a few days to dry
completely.  You could also dry them without microwaving but it takes several
more days.  Then pack the leaves in glass containers.  These make nice gifts
at holiday time too.

Donna