Re: Vegan Carrot Cake

For Philippa Martin who wanted a vegan carrot cake.

I submitted this to the list about a year ago. I modified this slightly
from Mark Foy's recipe found in "A Taste of Vitaltiy" that was available
on the Web, though I can't find it there now. This is really good,
especially for folks who can't/don't eat refined wheat flour. I haven't
included the nutritional breakdown he provided, because I've omitted the
canola oil from his original recipe.

Carrot Cake

3 1/2 cups brown rice flour (or spelt flour)
1 Tbs. flax seeds, ground
4 Tbs. tapioca, finely ground
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbs. baking powder (aluminum free, double-acting)
3 Tbs. prune puree
8 Tbs. applesauce, unsweetened
1 1/2 cups maple syrup
1 1/2 Tbs. alcohol-free vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups shredded carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
1 cup dried figs (cut into raisin-sized pieces) or raisins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If not using a non-stick pan, lightly
spray a 9" x 13" pan (or two 10" round spring form pans). Alternatively,
you can line your pan with parchment paper.

Sift dry ingredients together. Combine liquids, then stir into the flour
mixture. Fold in shredded carrots and figs. Pour into the prepared cake
pan(s).

Bake for 30-40 minutes (longer if using a 9" by 13" pan). Cake is done
when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

If desired, frost with Orange Icing (below).

Orange Icing

12  ounces low-fat silken tofu, extra firm
1 1/2 Tbs. orange zest, minced
3/4 tsp. orange extract
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup

Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Spread
on cooled cake and refrigerate to set.

Diane
sanctuarynw@xxxxxxxx