Re: Dixie Diner Nutlettes/other products

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, R. Fay wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried the Dixie Diner Nutlettes, but the fancy kind--flavoured with
> various stuff. I can't remember what they were called, but I found them
> to be absolutely disgusting. Has anyone tried *plain* Nutlettes and
> enjoyed them?
>
> Also, I'd appreciate any info on which of the dixie diner
> meat-substitute products are the tastiest.

I've had the Nutlettes mixed with GrapeNuts, and also mixed with granola.
Both are fine. I found I needed to let it sit a little with the milk to
soften it a bit.

We really like the Dixie Diner style Meat loaf mix.  (One package makes 6
servings easily.  I just divide it into thirds and make one third at a
time for the two of use. I usually add a little extra water to keep it
from being too dry.) We also like the Chicken Not cutlets with gravy.
Good with some mixed vegetables added and served over biscuits or rice.
We use the ground Beef Not in spaghetti, tacos, chili, sloppy joes --
basically anywhere you would use ground beef in a sauce. I buy it in the
10-pound size. We use the chunk-style Beef-Not in stews, and the strip
style in fajitas.  I don't use the regular Chicken-Not too often.
Sometimes in a stew, curry or stirfry.

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)