Pumpkin Rice Recipe

In issue #278 amyoilman@xxxxxxxxx wrote "does anyone have a recipe for
pumpkin rice pudding I made from the list about 2 years ago"

PUMPKIN RICE PUDDING

2 quarts water
1 cup Arborio or other short-grain rice
4 cups non-fat milk (I'll try rice milk)
1 vanilla bean, split (I'll try 1 to 2 tsp vanilla extract)
pinch of salt
1/3 cup sugar
15 ounce can pureed pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup raisins

In a heavy, large saucepan, bring water to a boil and add the rice.  Boil,
uncovered for 7 minutes; drain well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In the same saucepan, bring the milk to a boil
over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.  Add the vanilla bean, rice and
salt.  Cook, uncovered, over medium low heat, stirring often, until rice is
very soft and absorbs most of the milk (approx 15 - 18 minutes.  Remove from
heat, remove vanilla bean, and stir in sugar.

In a large bowl, mix pumpkin with half (2 cups) of the rice pudding.  Add
cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.  Spoon pumpkin rice pudding into a lightly
sprayed 2 quart baking pan.  Mix raisins into white rice mixture.  Spoon it
over the pumpkin mixture.  Bake uncovered, 30 minutes, or until firm.  Serve
warm, sprinkled with cinnamon if desired.  Serves 6 to 8.

I hope this one is it!

Phyllis in Delaware