all's quiet

Jeez things really seem quiet around here.  How 'bout I try to get things
going by requesting peeps to write in with their favorite
stick-to-your-ribs bean-n-grain casserole type dishes since the cold is
coming (or already here depending on where you are).  No wimpy soup
recipes!  I'll start with an old fave from the archives.

START
Three Bean Pilaf

2 Tablespoons water
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups long grain brown rice
4 cups vegetable broth or water
1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15-oz can stewed tomatoes
1 4-oz can chopped green chilies
2 cups frozen corn kernels

Heat the water in a large heavy saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 2-3
minutes, until the onion softens. Add the rice, vegetable broth, canned beans,
and the tomatoes. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat until
the mixture boils gently. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Stir in the
chilies and corn. Cover and cook for 15 minutes longer. Let rest for 15
minutes before serving.
I was short on brown rice when I made it, so I threw in a little black
japonica
rice to make up the difference. I thought it added a nice color and texture.
Also, the corn I used was very sweet, and I thought that really added zing to
the mixture. If you can find sweet corn, I'd recommend using it.
END

My takes:  I use all Black Japonica rice, I dig the taste of it and gives
the dish a cool mean-looking appearance.  I use home-cooked (ie no salt)
beans and also use my own home-canned stewed tomatoes which have had
varying amounts of herbs, spices and vegetables added to them.  This makes
A LOT so eat up or freeze excess portions.

Thanks, enjoy
KEN