Re: Need a Recipe for fat free muffins.

>I'm addicted to these Fat Free Blueberry Muffins that they sell in the cafe
>in my office building.  I know they are probably loaded with sugar. Does
>anyone have a recipe that I could make at home for fat free and yet low
>sugar muffins?

Here are two receipes which are very good.

Regards,
Don

BERRY, BANANA & BRAN MUFFINS

Sift or mix well into a bowl:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 tablespoons baking powder

Into a separate bowl:
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 OZ. egg substitute
Mix well.
Add the following, mixing well after each ingredient is added:
4-5 OZ. non-fat milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Add the following to the dry mixture and mix well with fingers:
1 cup fruit (Blueberries or Raseberries)
2 tablespoons sliced almonds
1/2 cup brand (ie. "Fiber One")
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 sliced bananna

Add wet mixture to this mixture and stir 16 times.
Place into muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
Topping is optional - (I prefer it without topping).
167 Calories, 1 gram fat, 7% Calories from fat.
(These figures include topping.)
Receipe modified from Graham Kerr as presented on TV..
Makes 6 regular size muffins plus12 minature size muffins

TOPPING

1 cup Yogurt Cheese*
1 sliced bananna mashed up
1 cup blueberries
Mash up until  mixture is slightly blue

*Yogurt Cheese is made by placing regular plain nofat yogurt into a
strainer over a bowl in refrigerator overnight.  The Whey is discarded and
the Yogurt Cheese remains in the strainer.

Muffins

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups Kelloggs All-Bran?
1 1/4 cups soy or rice milk (low or no fat)
1/4 c egg-beaters or similar egg substitute
1/4 cup applesauce
 vegetable cooking spray
1 cup fruit, drained.

1.  In a large mixing bowl, combine All-Bran and soy milk.  Let stand for 5
minutes.

2.  In another bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

3.  Stir egg-beaters and applesauce into All-Bran? & soy milk mixture.

4.  Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring only until lightly combined
(8-10 times)

5.  Carefully fold in 10 oz. of drained frozen raspberries or a small can
of drained
     crushed pineapple, or a mixture of the two;  (or one cup of any fruit
of your choice
     can be used).

6.  Bake at 400 deg. for 20 minutes, or until muffins feel done to the
touch and are
     lightly browned.  Serve warm.

Left-over muffins are delicious when warmed in the oven for 5-10 minutes.

Donald E. Stowe (Don)
Retired HS. Chemistry Teacher
Click here to email me ---> mailto:destowe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at---> http://www.geocities.com/destowe/