Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #294

> OK, Christmas is coming VERY soon. I have been looking at cookie recipes and
> they ALL call for lard. What may I substitute the lard for? Thanks, Carrie
> Thompson

Lard, dripping... these are just animal fats, usually white like butter
used to be in winter until they started adding colouring.  Anyway most of
your normal substitutes would work (or even straight butter, if it doesn't
call for way too much like my biscuit recipes do).  Purreed white beans
work but smell a bit funny if you don't soak them enough, applesauce - if
you don't mind them taking forever too cook and not being crispy (more
moist), mashed banana is good too although it too can vary the cooking
time.

	Jacinta