Frostings

For a fluffy icing - how about the old-fashioned 7-minute frosting.

7-MINUTE FROSTING    for 2 layer cake or 24 cupcakes

2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar or 1 Tbs. light corn syrup
1/3 cup cold water
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients except vanilla in the top of a double boiler and set
over just boiling water. Beat constantly with rotary or electric beater
until stiff peaks form, 4 - 7 minutes. Off heat, add vanilla and beat until
of good spreading consistency.

Note: Some electric mixers will whip up 7-Minute Frosting in LESS than 7
minutes.

Variations:
Orange or Lemon - Prepare as directed but use orange or lemon juice instead
of water and 1/2 tsp. orange or lemon extract instead of vanilla.

Coffee - Prepare as directed but use 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
and 1 cup granulated; also dissolve 1 Tbs. instant coffee powder in the
water before adding.

Peppermint - Prepare as directed but flavor with 1/2 tsp. peppermint
extract or 1/4 tsp. oil of peppermint instead of vanilla. Tint pale pink
and fold in 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candy.

If you're interested in more variations - let me know. Don't want to drown
you in them. There is also Seafoam Frosting which I will be glad to post if
anyone is interested.

 From "New Doubleday Cookbook" by Jean Anderson and Elaine Hanna

Patty in AZ